This week, our beloved Josie dog turned 4 years old! I decided I wanted to find a dog friendly cake recipe so we could have a little party for her… I know I’m a saddo! I had a quick search of google and there were LOADS of different options!
I found a recipe for a Coconut Honey Doggie cake on Brown Eyed Baker, which I adapted slightly. It said that even though the recipe was for a dog birthday cake, that it was also suitable for humans to eat as well…! Bonus I thought! However, we did try a little bit and I can’t say I would recommend it!
Jessie had lots of fun helping me make the cake, singing happy birthday to Josie dog and then of course blowing out the candles on Josie’s behalf. And Josie enjoyed eating the cake (we didn’t let her have it all… she’s on a diet!!)
Anyway, if you’re just as in love with your dog as me and fancy making them a birthday cake this year, here is the recipe I used! It was really easy to do.
Honey and Coconut Dog Birthday Cake Recipe
3 table spoons of melted coconut oil, plus a little extra for greasing the tin
2 table spoons of runny honey
2 medium eggs
250g of self raising flour
Plain yoghurt for ‘icing’
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180 degrees. Grease a cake tin with coconut oil (I used a 6 inch, loose bottomed one)
2. Mix together the melted coconut oil, honey and eggs.
3. Using a whisk, add the flour a little bit at a time until it is all mixed in. The mixture will be quite firm.
4. Put the mixture into the tin and smooth out the top. Place in the oven for approx 20 minutes.
5. Once the cake has cooled, frost with plain yoghurt. Done!